Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fabulous Quilting


I used to think quilting was like knitting- not for the under 50’s, oh how I was wrong!  I am hooked!  After being introduced to quilting by my sister in law I soon came to realise just how addictive and FUN it was.  With two small children I decided to embark on the challenge of creating a quilt for them each to keep and pass on to their children.  This is my attempt to bring back some traditions to this face-paced world.  Mind you I may be using my first quilt as a park blanket if it all turns pear shaped! 

Then I set out on the mission to find some fabric for the quilts.  Now in my head all I could see were the delightful browns, reds and patchwork patterns you see in the country style quilting magazines, not that I have anything against the country its just not my style!  Well again how I was wrong!  I discovered the fabrics were just as hip as quilting was turning out to be.  This is where I stumbled across my first problem- I'm sure there will be plenty more when I actually start sewing!  What material to buy???  It was gorgeous and I was slightly overwhelmed.  But I managed to purchase the fabric I needed for just the two quilts, which my husband was pleases about as I think I could have definitely spent a fortune in there!

So my quilting adventure has begun, material has been purchased and cut and all set for me to begin sewing.  I apologise to all the die hard quilters out there for having such a narrow mind about it I wish I had discovered it long ago.  Now to find the time between housework, kids, husband and sleep- oh the sleep part doesn’t happen but the rest does need time allowed!  Until next time- get quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment